1st Edition HB 1992

Operation Market Garden Book

Hardback with dustjacket. First published in 1992 in the UK by "Leo Cooper Ltd.".
Printed by "Redwood Press Ltd." Written by Anthony Deane-Drummond.
After evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940 the author joined the fledgling parachute forces.
He was taken prisoner on a raid and escaped, but was recaptured and escaped again
back to England to rejoin the Airborne Forces. He was taken prisoner at Arnhem and
again escaped. In after years he flew gliders, commanded an SAS regiment, was Assistant
Commander at Sandhurst, and was on the staff in the Ministry of Defence.

The Author:

Anthony Deane-Drummond

Anthony Deane-Drummond

Son of late Col John D. DeaneDrummond, DSO, OBE, MC. Married (1944) Mary Evangeline Boyd;
four daughters.
Very few soldiers have had as dramatic a career as Anthony Deane-Drummond. After
evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940 he joined the fledging parachute forces and six months
later was a member of the first British parachute operation of the Second World War
- a raid to blow up an aqueduct in the mountains of Southern Italy. Though the raid
itself was a success, he and his colleagues were taken prisoner. He escaped,
was recaptured, escaped again and made his way back to England to rejoin the
Airborne Forces. Two years later he took part in the Arnhem debacle and his researches,
revealed here for the first time, clearly show that the operation could have been
largely successful if different decisions had been taken by some of the senior Generals
and Air Marshalls at the time. Taken prisoner again at Arnhem, he describes how he
locked himself into a cupboard, with Germans in the room outside. Thirteen days later
he was able to slip away and, after being looked after by a brave Dutch family,
he found himself recrossing the Rhine to get back home once more in November 1944.
In the next few years and after surviving such shocks as being diagnosed as suffering
from terminal cancer in 1955, and having a two-inch hole in his head from a stone
thrown in Cyprus in 1956, he was downgraded by the doctors to "light duty".
This enabled him to become the British Gliding Champion in 1957. Later that year
he was given command of 22 SAS Regiment, then serving in Malaya. The subject of
a "This Is Your Life" programme in 1962, he went on to command a TA parachute brigade
and later became Assistant Commandant at Sandhurst. His next job was command of
3rd Division and finally a very frustrating task on the central staff in the
Ministry of Defence. He retired for the first time in 1971 and was selected as
Director and Chief Executive to run the Paper Industries Training Board, which he
did for eight years. His experience in the paper industry and an energetic streak
led him to try to find a niche in the market and then to set up a small business
to sell a product. Within three years the turnover on his one-man business
(together with his wife) had grown to 120,000, when domestic problems with his eldest
daughter forced them to sell up and move to S.Warwickshire.